Tuesday, May 31, 2011

(no subject)

360 Degree Sailing


Monday May 30, 2011

We had a little party tonight to celebrate reaching the 30% point. We are 838 miles off of Baja now. It has been cloudy all but one day. Seas are three to ten feet and winds are usually somewhere between 15 and 25 knots. At our current speed we should arrive in Hawaii in 13 days.

On watch a few days ago:

I am all alone under a full moon at three a.m.

The ocean looks like thick chocolate pudding with powdered sugar sprinkled down from the moon.
I see the lights of Baja twinkling in the distance but I know that they are not really there; it's the moon shining down on the horizon.

13,000 feet lie below my keel. An unknown multitude of creatures great and small live their lives beneath me. I sail above them like a bird in the sky. The sea holds me up more securely than the air holds a plane.

Nothing can be seen within three miles in any direction (the visual horizon). There is no ugly human architecture to mar the seascape or carelessly, or intentionally, discarded thrash (other than the plastics and other chemicals dissolved in the seawater). I look at an immense, beautiful ocean rolling below a sky filled with velvety gray cumulus clouds pierced by shafts of moonlight.

The sun will be rising in the east, but it will not be something that happens in the east. The sunrise is a 360 degree experience just like the sunsets. I will be under a Technicolor dome.

Being out of sight of land isn't terrifying - it's magnificent and utterly peaceful when the atmosphere is benign.

Standing on the bow of Comocean, I am truly on top of the world.
-----
At 5/31/2011 2:50 AM (utc) our position was 19°45.31'N 125°48.69'W on course 270T at 6.2 knots.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment